It's really good, you should take a look!
Fun Facts about Words
We speak, hear, write, and type words all day long, so words can seem pretty boring and not much fun. However, there are some pretty interesting facts about common (and a few that are not so common) words.
Fun with words isn't limited to rhymes and palindromes. Below are 25 fun facts about words in the English language.
- "Stewardesses" and "reverberated" are the longest words that can be typed using only the left hand.
- "Lollipop" is the longest word that can be typed using only the right hand.
- "Skepticisms" is the longest word that can be typed using alternate hands.
- "Rhythm" and "syzygy" (look it up and learn a new word today!) are the longest words without vowels.
- The letters H, I, O, and X are the only letters that look the same if you flip them upside down or view them from behind.
- "Queueing" is the only word with five consecutive vowels.
- The only city in the United States whose name is spelled using only vowels is Aiea, Hawaii.
- The longest one-syllable words are "screeched" and "strengths".
- The word with the most consonants in a row is "latchstring".
- "W" is the only letter in the alphabet that does not have one syllable. It has three!
- "Therein" contains ten words without rearranging any of the letters: there, in, the, he, her, here, ere, therein, herein, rein.
- A, H, I, M, O, T, U, V, W, X, and Y are the symmetric capital letters.
- The symmetric lowercase letters are i, l, o, t, u, v, w, x.
- The letter combination "ough" can be pronounced in nine different ways, which can be heard in this sentence: A rough-coated, dough-faced, thoughtful ploughman strode through the streets of Scarborough; after falling into a slough, he coughed and hiccoughed.
- "Deeded" is the only word that is made using only two different letters, each used three times.
- There aren't any words that rhyme with orange, purple, silver, or month.
- Maine is the only state with one syllable.
- The only words with three consecutive double letters are "bookkeeping" and "bookkeeper".
- "Underground" is the only word that begins and ends with "und".
- "Polish" changes from a noun or a verb to a nationality when it is capitalized.
- If you spell out every number from 0 to 999, you will find every vowel except for "a". You have to count to one thousand to find an "a"!
- "Q" is the only letter that is not used in the name of any of the United States.
- The only words with "uu" are "vacuum", "muumuu", "residuum", and "continuum".
- The highest scoring word in the game Scrabble is "quartzy".
- "Subcontinental" is the only word that uses each vowel only once and in reverse alphabetical order.
Nerdy Birdy (Book Worm)